The young, but extremely vibrant history of InsurTech proves it to be one of the most electric industries to follow in 2017 and beyond. An ever-expanding list of outstanding InsurTech startups is already shaking up the $4.5-trillion-dollar industry by leveraging technological capabilities. The use of disruptive technologies like big data, Internet of Things (IoT), mobile technology, AI, social network, and blockchain are gaining momentum and InsurTech firms are looking for a scope to capitalize it.
The rapid growth of InsurTech startups, interest from VC firms and the corporate world served as a sign that the ecosystem has a tremendous potential and requires action to leverage those opportunities. In response to the flourishing startup environment, opportunistic minds have built InsurTech-focused accelerators to nourish the evolution of one of the most complex industries globally.
Further, we will review some of the most dedicated professional communities in the insurance industry – InsurTech-focused accelerators/incubators searching for a diamond in the rough.
The AIA Accelerator is a program designed to bring high-potential startups and one of the world’s largest insurer together. With the third batch concluded in June 2016, the program has received applications from around the world and incubated more than 25 startups across cities to accelerate their health tech and wearable businesses.
Startups have received:
- Mentorship from industry experts, specialists in wearable healthcare, technology & go-to-markets and from venture capitalists on fundraising and growth strategies.
- Hot seating during the incubation period
- Sponsorship from Microsoft on free software, cloud services, and joint marketing exposure to help startups to grow their business
- Business support, free training and online courses from Amazon on architecture, SysOps, and DevOps
AIA Accelerator 4.0, an innovation partnership with KPMG Digital Village, is looking for innovative and disruptive startups that can swiftly address AIA’s opportunities and challenges with new ideas and solutions. Through this program, startups can collaborate with an established multinational organization, and position themselves as ones that are ready for commercial engagement. Shortlisted startups will have the opportunity to develop a prototype that can be adopted and integrated by AIA.
Allianz X GmbH is the company builder of Allianz Group. The company identifies, builds and globally scales new business models related to insurance, asset management, and assistance services.
During the 100-day sprints of Allianz’s Entrepreneur-in-Residence Program, entrepreneurs work closely with the company’s experts to develop and market a new business idea from scratch. They receive a variety of resources required to build their business and join a vibrant work environment. Allianz specializes in using a lean startup process to create companies together with founders.
DMZ InsurTech Accelerator (formerly the Digital Media Zone) is one of Canada’s largest business incubators for emerging tech startups. The top-ranked incubator in North America and third in the world, it helps startups succeed by connecting them with customers, advisors, influencers and other entrepreneurs. The DMZ is based at Ryerson; however, it’s not just for students – this unique community is home to entrepreneurs and innovators of all ages from across Toronto, Canada, and the world.
The benefits include:
- One-on-one weekly mentorship from Aviva Canada’s executive team and DMZ’s Entrepreneurs-in-Residence
- Support for building customized sales strategies and exclusive access to industry trends
- Focused workshops hosted by insurance and technology industry leaders
- Introductions to key Aviva decision-makers, prospective customers, and partners
- Chance to pilot with Aviva and pitch to UK-based Aviva Ventures, a £100-million fund
- Dedicated workspace and access to a pool of resources
As of 2016, 287 startups have been incubated in DMZ, and over $306 million raised in funding.
The Global Insurance Accelerator is a mentor-driven business accelerator designed to foster innovation in the insurance industry by supporting startups targeting the global insurance industry. The accelerator takes in in early-stage companies who are building solutions to support the insurance industry.
- $40K seed investment in exchange for 6% equity
- Founder-friendly term sheet – common stock, no board seat
- 1:1 meetings with ~80 insurance-focused mentors
- "Demo day" at Global Insurance Symposium (> 500 attendees in 2016)
- Additional exposure at industry conferences via new partnerships
- Typical accelerator perks (hosting, marketing tools, etc.)
- Roughly 90% of housing costs covered
- Free gym membership, food, parking and other miscellaneous perks
Helvetia InsurTech Accelerator by Swiss Startup Factory (SSUF)
Launched in 2014, the Swiss Startup Factory is a Zurich-based accelerator looking for ambitious digital entrepreneurs. SSUF provides all the tools startups will need to build, develop and expand: a wide range of financing options, professional pitch trainers/coaches/mentors, a robust national/international network, and much more.
Helvetia InsurTech Accelerator is a three-month accelerator program of the Swiss Startup Factory that offers a first class platform to reach the full potential of startups’ idea through services, coaching, mentoring, working space in the heart of Zurich as well the outstanding network to a wide range of corporations.
Services provided as part of the program include:
- Close support from the core team
- Support of the lean startup approach
- Training and support events
- Desk for all team members (incl. Wi-Fi, snacks, cleaning, etc.)
- Access to a satellite location for two weeks
- Access to business support (product management, marketing & sales, finance & accounting, PR, and legal)
- Access to designers and developers
- Access to mentors and our corporate network
Kamet was launched by AXA as a €100-million InsurTech incubator dedicated to conceptualizing, launching and accompanying disruptive products and services for insurance clients.
Kamet backs brash entrepreneurs building the next generation of groundbreaking technology companies, geared to improve, enrich or disrupt the insurance ecosystem. With ofﬁces in Paris and London, but soon in Asia and America, Kamet focuses on pioneering startups that are ready to scale across the global stage, all funded by the AXA group.
Kamet delivers access to some top corporations to match cutting-edge entrepreneurs with one of the world’s most powerful FI/Insurance companies. Benefits for startups include:
- The opportunity to work in an environment which combines the best qualities of startups and the expertise of a multinational
- The ability to build and develop new companies with full autonomy and be able to make fully independent decisions
- The opportunity to work in a booming sector and could become a future global leader within the InsurTech ecosystem
- The opportunity to work with an international network of experts and benefit from senior management coaching
- AXA’s operational and financial support
- An attractive package including equity
Lab of Forward Thinking by Manulife (LOFT)
Manulife and John Hancock’s Lab of Forward Thinking (LOFT) explores emerging technologies, new business processes and consumer needs to deliver innovative solutions. Through LOFT labs in Boston, Singapore, and Toronto, teams discover, incubate and accelerate new technologies, products, services, and processes. The group works with thought leaders to design and build innovative solutions for its customers.
The LOFT is a global exploration and incubation capability to build Manulife's competitive advantages within the financial services industry. The LOFT provides a platform for employees to collaborate and devise new technological solutions for the Company's wealth, asset management, and insurance customers.
Established in Singapore, LumenLab serves to promote a culture of innovation at MetLife and create new businesses targeting the needs of the Asia-based consumer across the health, aging, and wealth sectors. LumenLab applies a thoughtful, structured and methodical process to incubating ideas, and developing new businesses that can scale.
LumenLab’s 7,800-square-foot facility at The Metropolis, Buona Vista houses a working space and business incubator staffed with dedicated innovation experts, many of whom have a background in startups or come from outside the insurance industry.
An integral element of MetLife’s investment in Asia, LumenLab has been established to develop disruptive new business models in the areas of wellness, wealth, and retirement. By leveraging tried-and-tested innovation processes, LumenLab aims to build businesses that help Asian consumers achieve richer and more fulfilling lives.
MundiLab is an insurance tech acceleration program, designed to facilitate the go-to-market of startups with innovative solutions for the insurance and reinsurance industries. Mundi Lab is divided into two phases:
Phase 1: An intensive 5-weeks program designed to take 10 selected teams in very diverse industries to the next level (cash and equity-free for participants).
- World-class mentoring from Munich Re and Mundi Ventures teams
- Engaging workshops to perfect your entrepreneurial toolkit
- Use of our unique co-working facilities in Madrid
- Periodic networking opportunities within the Madrid entrepreneurship community
- Networking opportunities with other world-class entrepreneurs and the vast network of Munich Re partners and clients
- Strong lineup of industry experts to hone your product and value proposition for the insurance tech industry
Phase 2: Munich Re will choose the best-performing companies that have proven the highest potential to disrupt the insurance industry to enter into a second phase focused on closing a commercial deal with Munich Re.
- Opportunity to work on a pilot program with Munich Re and/or other insurance stakeholders
- Opportunity to pitch your idea at our demo day and access key investors from European top VCs
- Access to key decision-makers across Munich Re to provide an opportunity to learn how corporates think and take partnership decisions
Startupbootcamp InsurTech is a global insurance accelerator working alongside a large portfolio of insurance players to foster disruptive and collaborative insurance innovation from early stage startups. Each year, the accelerator selects the 10 most promising insurance technology startups from around the world and helps them grow.
The benefits of the three-month accelerator program include:
- Direct access to a number of program partners that are committed to helping startups succeed
- Extensive support and advice from 100s of entrepreneurs, program alumni, and mentors
- Exposure to over 200 angel investors and venture capital firms that are part of the Startupbootcamp investor network as startups enter the program
- The ability to test and refine the proposition in a safe environment and employ the cutting-edge growth techniques used by the most successful startups in the world
- Plus much more, including free office space in the heart of the City of London – walking distance from a large pool of renowned insurers – for three months and an additional month to help finalize things
- Access to top markets in Europe, US and APAC
- 3+1 months free office space
- €15K in cash per team
- €500k+ in partner services
- Invitation to SBC global alumni network and growth program
In return, Startupbootcamp asks for a 6% equity stake with all contracts being simple, transparent, and available for all to see.
Partners include 25 major insurance brands, such as The Admiral Group, Admiral, Allianz, Confused.com, ERGO, Exponential Ventures, HDI, Intesa Sanpaolo, Lloyds Banking Group, L’olivier, LV=, Metropolitan, MJ Hudson, MMI Holdings, Momentum, Munich Re, Old Mutual, PwC, Route66 Ventures, Scottish Widows, Swiss Re, Talanx, Tryg, UnipolSai, XL Catlin, and Zurich.
Silicon Valley Insurance Accelerator (SVIA)
SVIA offers a membership program that includes its InsurTech Innovation Lab, boot camps, executive programs and events/summits. Its membership program provides an integrated set of offerings that help accelerate a company's ability to develop Innovative InsurTech-enabled strategies, solutions, products, and services and bring them to market.
SVIA’s InsurTech Rapid Innovation Lab provides world-class design, development, and delivery resources that help insurance companies, startups, and vendors harness emerging technologies to forge breakthrough products and solutions.
The Rapid Innovation Lab helps, designs, develops and delivers innovative InsurTech-enabled products, solutions, and services. The lab is focusing on the following projects: proof of concepts, insurance products, enabling solutions & services, industry infrastructure, and platforms. The lab’s capabilities include market research, validation, sandbox/prototyping environment, design, architecture, development, sourcing, hosting, outsourced business processes, and strategic consulting.
The SVIA InsurTech Lab – combined with its Jump Start Programs – enables participants to quickly and cost-effectively undertake the journey of digitally transforming their products, company, and culture. Members receive preferential access to our knowledge, summits, Rapid Application InsurTech Innovation Lab/boot camps, and SVIA’s ecosystem of startups, insurance companies, investors, and media partners.
The Swiss Re InsurTech Accelerator is a 16-week intensive program through which Swiss Re mentors and helps curate startups with the potential of disrupting insurance practices. Started in July 2016, it is the first-ever initiative by a reinsurance company to foster technology innovation amongst startups in the insurance tech area in India.
Through this program, startups have received the opportunity to engage with global Swiss Re leaders and gained access to the expertise and insights from the Swiss Re team and mentors from the industry. Startups will be provided a platform to make an impact in the insurance industry, which is currently on the cusp of disruptive transformation.
As part of this program, startups are provided with access to global expertise and insights from the Swiss Re team, strong mentoring support from global thought leaders, and the technical enablement to work effectively from the Swiss Re Bangalore office.
The additional program benefits for startups include:
- Ongoing engagement with a global reinsurance leader
- Opportunity to work for global markets/businesses
- State-of-the-art facility located in Bangalore
- 3+1 months of office space
- Invitation to participate in industry-related events
W1 Forward is an accelerator program powered by WERK1, a digital incubator in Munich, with the vision is to help startups to grow their idea into a scalable business. W1 Forward InsurTech Accelerator was launched by WERK1 in 2015 together with leading insurance companies to establish one of the world’s leading ecosystems for InsurTech startups in Munich and help them boost the market – for free, with no equity requirement in exchange.
The program supports five teams. The core program is set out for six months (six weeks of intensive sessions and mentoring + four months of on demand-mentoring) and is open to startups worldwide who want to revolutionize the industry. Teams will use WERK1 installations for free and work hand-in-hand with renowned coaches, mentors, and leaders of the industry, all worth €50.000/startup. The goal is to develop a concept to a market-ready product or service. W1 Forward aims furthermore to help startups to collaborate with corporations so that they can find new businesses and partnerships.
Benefits for program participants include:
- Six months free office space and administrative support
- 1-on-1 mentoring and interactive workshops
- Exclusive access to insurance partners & specific teams
- Network of potential investors, partners, and entrepreneurs
Note: Mentioned accelerators and incubators do not comprise an exhaustive list. Please reach out the LTP Team at email@example.com if you have suggestions for companies to add.