One of Brazil's largest banks, Bradesco and Mobile network operator Claro are working together to launch an NFC based mobile payments program beginning in Sao Paulo, during the second half of 2014. They will be collaborating with Giesecke & Devrient to provide the service at over 200,000 terminals across the country.
- G&D will supply the TSM platforms used by Claro as well as Bradesco.
- They will also provide Claro with SkySIM CX SIM cards, used to store Visa and MasterCard account details.
- Its SmartTrust Portigo mobile wallet software contains sensitive customer information such as credit/debit card numbers and account details.
- The wallet will be pre-installed on new Claro NFC handsets and will also be available for download by existing users whose smartphones possess NFC technology.
- Users will then be able to make NFC payments at any of the 200,000 POS terminals located in retail outlets across the country.
"By adopting mobile payment services based on NFC technology, Brazil is setting the course for all of Latin America," said G&D’s, Carsten Ahrens. "We are delighted at the chance to furnish both our partners with a secure, overall concept.” G&D describes the deployment as the “first commercial project of its kind in Latin America”.
Giesecke & Devrient is also providing the TSM (Trusted Service Manager) solutions to both Bradesco and Claro. The TSM solution allows users to receive Bradesco account holders’ payment card information on their devices in an encrypted form through Claro’s mobile network.