First Data has unveiled the newest member of the Clover family, Clover Mini. The credit card terminal is capable of accepting NFC-based payments from mobile wallets like Apple Pay, Android Pay and the yet-to-be launched Samsung Pay. Clover Mini enables merchants to accept most payment types, including swipe, PIN debit, EMV (chip-and-PIN and chip-and-signature).
Clover Mini redefines the payment terminal by providing business owners with an “all-in-one” solution. It helps to streamline operations, expand business and customer intelligence, and improves the customer experience, all while facilitating payments in a safe, secure environment.
Benefits of Clover Mini include:
- Cloud-based, customized software allowing business owners to manage their business from any computer, tablet or mobile device.
- Multiple layers of security and data protection, including mutually authenticated SSL/TLS solutions and state-of-the-art, built-in TransArmor® Solution designed to protect businesses from fraud and safeguard customer data.
- Fully PCI PTS 4.0-certified, including the Secure Reading and Exchange of Data (SRED) module.
- Seven-inch Antimicrobial Corning® Gorilla® Glass screen that can display a PIN pad for debit transactions or capture signatures for credit transactions.
- A built-in printer.
- Front-facing camera that enables easy check acceptance, and barcode and QR code-reading.
The acceptance of tablet-based POS terminals is growing rapidly in the US. Clover Mini will be competing with Leaf, Poynt and other players who also have similar solutions. We are witnessing a lot of developments in card acceptance technology in the last few months. Larger players like NCR and VeriFone have struck partnerships with small players to grow their market share among micro merchants. There are 25 million micro merchants in the US with more than eight million POS terminals. Though these merchants are upgrading to NFC-EMV-based terminals, the change is taking place at a slow pace.
First Data already enjoys a large market share among micro merchants. The launch of Clover Mini will further strengthen its card acceptance foothold among small and micro merchants.
Previously in 2013, First Data launched Clover Station, which quickly became one of the fastest-selling point-of-sale systems in the world. In 2014, First Data unveiled Clover Mobile, a high-powered portable system that enables transactions on the go, whether a business owner is accepting payments tableside or in a register line. Clover, which was a mobile payments app company, was acquired by First Data in 2013.
“Just as the smartphone changed the lives of billions of people around the world, Clover is revolutionizing the way business owners run their companies. With its elegant design, ease of use and ability to customize the user experience with the growing Clover® App Market, Clover Mini is the comprehensive solution that business owners need.” President of First Data Guy Chiarello said at the press release.