On 14th June 2014, social gifting company – eGifter – announced that it is the first app in the world to be officially approved to take bitcoin payments on iOS. This news comes barely eight hours after the company’s announcement that it had added the Walmart eGift card to its catalog.
“The day after the release of the new app we submitted a second release with the bitcoin payment option to Apple for approval and crossed our fingers. We are incredibly happy to be the first iOS app to go live with bitcoin payments. In anticipation of a potential change in the iOS rules, we built the new app from the ground up with our bitcoin users in mind,” stated Roye, in a press release. “The timing really could not have worked out better,” he added.
Some details from their Press Release:
- Available in the App Store for free download, the app represents a big moment for the bitcoin community who has been waiting for months for bitcoin payments to come to iOS.
- eGifter’s significantly updated iOS app launched just one week ago, directly after Apple’s addition of guidelines allowing for virtual currencies, announced during its World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) on June 2nd.
- eGifter’s new app is a result of extensive feedback from users, especially the bitcoin community.
- The app contains several enhanced features designed to simplify key functions and significantly improve the user’s experience.
- Key features include eGifter’s Smart Coupons & Special Offers, which constantly update based on the brands of eGift cards and loyalty cards in a user’s eGifter wallet.
- This ensures consumers always have current offers available when they go to use their cards.
- Access to the offers is unlocked by either by purchasing eGift cards or scanning in plastic gift and loyalty cards.
- Other new features include automated gift card balance checking and gift card re-gifting, which allows for re-gifting of eGift cards to friends on social networks or by email.
In April, eGifter launched an improved loyalty points program which give bitcoin users three percent back for each dollar spent on over 200 brands of eGift cards. To celebrate the launch of the new app, eGifter will feature a different brand each day in June and offer triple loyalty points on that brand for the day. While the current eGifter Android app already accepts bitcoin, the new generation app with eGifter’s enhanced features will come to Android in July.