One of the companies that has been quite busy in the payments industry over the last year or so is Fortumo. On 18th February 2014, Fortumo announced a direct carrier billing partnership with Smart Communications Inc., Philippines’ largest mobile operator. On 24th February 2014, One Platform foundation announced that Fortumo has joined its Open In-App Billing (OpenIAB) - to enable developers to use mobile operator billing in 80 countries for in app purchasing via any android device.
"Very few Android developers currently make the effort to publish and monetize their apps outside of Google Play. The simple reason is that it takes time and they do not want to integrate payments for each store separately,” said Oleg Orlov, One Platform Foundation. “Fortumo is a welcome partner in the OpenIAB project as their payment SDK already works in most marketplaces. With more partners joining, we can create a critical mass for OpenIAB, change developer behaviour and ultimately make their business more profitable."
- The OpenIAB initiative aims to create a unified billing solution for over thirty Android marketplaces.
- Developers are able to wrap their app using the OpenIAB library which then handles billing logic corresponding to each store's payment solution.
- OpenIAB currently supports billing for Google Play, Amazon App Store, Samsung Apps, T-Store and Yandex Store.
- Fortumo's mobile operator billing will become available in any participating app store that has implemented OpenIAB billing.
- Each developer will have the option to dynamically select in which countries and marketplaces they want to use mobile operator billing.
"Over 3 billion people want to buy digital goods with mobile payments,” said Gerri Kodres, Fortumo. “Adding Fortumo's mobile operator billing to OpenIAB makes it easier for Android developers to earn money from emerging markets."
Fortumo was launched in 2007, aiming to be the most developer friendly mobile payments provider. Back in February, 2013 Fortumo raised $10 Mn from Intel Capital and Greycroft Partners to foray into emerging markets. Globally, Fortumo has presence in over 180 countries and has tie ups with over 300 carriers and 92,000 developers. Some of the popular app or game developers who use Fortumo’s direct carrier billing service include Pop Cap Games, Rovio (Angry Birds app maker), EA, Gameloft, Badoo, etc.
One Platform Foundation is a global, open-source initiative whose aim is to help the Android ecosystem evolve by enabling developers to easily code and submit their apps across multiple alternative appstores.