The total Social TV market is expected to reach $256.44 Bn by 2017 with a CAGR of 11.2%, according to a new research by MarketsandMarkets. Nebel.TV, a new free open source media distribution application that is currently under development, combines a social network like community with advanced peer-to-peer streaming video technology in order to enable users to discover new content as well as stream it seamlessly.
Nebel.TV was created by a group of nearly 20 professionals from the IT industry, incuding Founder and CEO Ihor Starepravo. The company says that their solution is both a TV dongle as well as an app. Their content platform enables users to buy content seamlessly via in-app Bitcoin microtransactions.
This video gives you an overview of their platform:
- Nebel.TVseeks to address all the inadequacies of contemporary media such as availability, piracy, speed, profitability and accessibility.
- It will be available as a free Android app and as a dedicated hardware device, says the company.
- Nebel.TV lets you get paid to watch ads. Yeah no kidding!
- The company also stresses that it is built for Bitcoin – wherein users can buy, rent and subscribe to content utilizing Bitcoin microtransactions.
- They can purchase new, or utilize existing Bitcoins (or stick to free content) and see no ads at all.
- However, if the user wishes to – he can enable ads and get a small Bitcoin payment every time he watches one.
- Users can cash the Bitcoins in their wallet out at any time, or turn around and spend them on content.
- Nebel.TV says that it places the user with complete control of his advertising experience.
- The company also believes that giving users an incentive to participate in the ad economy is the future of ads on the internet and will remain sustainable as ad blockers become more popular and more effective.
How Does it Work?
- Nebel.TV implements a secure, decentralized peer-to-peer network for streaming media content.
- This enables content creators to distribute content without having to pay for servers, and users can stream that content from any device, anywhere in the world.
- It also means that anyone can upload content to the Nebel.TV network, providing a great way to share videos with your friends and family.
- Nebel.TV also supports variable-quality streaming video technology (Scalable Video Codec), to enable clients to vary the quality of their stream to eliminate buffering and adjust video performance to the viewing device settings: a piece of the HDTV content can be shared to the network and viewed on the SDTVs and smartphones without a need to be converted.
As for Security?
Nebel.TV is built around encryption: the data sent between you and other Nebel.TV users is only visible to the two of you; and, because Nebel.TV uses your peer group as a social network, you won’t be connected to malicious parties that will spy on your downloads. The company says that it will be one of the most secure ways to consume content on the market.
One important question that the company addressed on their website: Is Nebel.TV bad news for current content pirates?
Not at all! We hope to turn current pirates into legitimate service providers, collating content, translating it, and providing subtitles. Nebel.TV provides tools for pirates to become part of the legal content ecosystem, and be paid for it.
- Accessing your home library on the go
- Sharing, commenting and rating videos anywhere in the world
- Making and selling content without going through a middle man
- Effortlessly buying content with a single click from an integrated Bitcoin wallet, no credit card required
- Controlling if and how you watch ads
Nebel.TV is set to make their official product launch in the fourth quarter of 2014. The company has launched a Fundraiser via Indiegogo.com – leading international crowdfunding site headquartered in San Francisco.