On 19th May 2014, Groupon announced the introduction of Gnome, a new tablet based platform that will provide sophisticated tools to local merchants to run their businesses in a more effective manner, as well as better understand their customers.
This however, is not Groupon's first foray into the POS space. In May 2013, the company had released Groupon POS aimed at local merchants, an iPad based version of its mobile payments service. Around the same time, its wider payments service was rebranded as 'Breadcrumb', with the addition of a merchant app called Breadcrumb POS.
Groupon says that the new tablet will enable merchants to immediately recognize their Groupon customers as they enter their businesses. Utilizing Gnome, Users can seamlessly redeem Groupons and save money as well as time with the help of a straightforward POS system and credit card payment processing service.
"Gnome is an amazing piece of technology that plugs our merchants into the Web and helps them form relationships with every customer that walks in their front door. When it's complete, Gnome will serve as an operating system for merchants to run their entire operation and enable them to create real-time promotions that bring customers into their business when they need them the most,” stated CEO of Groupon, Eric Lefkofsky, in a press release. “Gnome is an important step towards our long-term mission of creating a world where merchants are constantly connected to the Groupon local commerce platform," he added.
- The company says that Gnone will integrate with popular accounting software programs such as Xero and Quickbooks.
- Groupon will its offer users a slew of customer relationship management tools such as the ability to share customer feedback through social media, respond to customer inquiries or comments as well as customize marketing campaigns.
- Gnome is also set to also come with 24/7 live support and a payments service with competitive rates on credit card processing fees.
- Groupon currently charges $10 per month for its iPad system.
- All-in-one Cash Register - Everything local businesses require, in order to operate more efficiently as well as deliver outstanding customer service—accept credit and debit card payments, log cash transactions, print or email receipts, manage menu items, calculate multiple tax rates, issue refunds and view transaction history.
- Bluetooth Groupon Redemption - Automatically redeem Groupons utilizing Bluetooth technology or search for customers by name, Grouponbarcode or voucher number.
- Customer Relationship Management - Customize marketing campaigns using customer purchase history and preferences. Gnome also enables merchants to share customer feedback through Facebook as well as Twitter, and enables one-click email response to solve customer service issues on the go.
- Simple, Customizable Point of Sale - Gnome comes with preloaded menus and inventory lists for the most popular types of local businesses, allowing merchants to begin running their systems within a few minutes. Merchants can also add, scroll and search thousands of menu items.
- Accounting Software Integration - Gnome integrates with popular accounting software programs such as Xero and Quickbooks, providing merchants with a convenient and hassle-free way to upload their sales data for bookkeeping and taxes.