It is definitely a cumbersome process getting your repairs, cleaning done by the local handyman. Handybook, makes booking household services less of a tedious process by enabling users to book for professional services online. It calls itself “Uber but for household services”.
Handybook was Co-Founded in 2012 by Oisin Hanrahan (CEO), Weina Scott, Ignacio Leonhardt and Umang Dua (COO). The company has received a total funding of $12 million through investors Highland Capital Partners, General Catalyst Partners, BoxGroup and David Tisch. Handybook says it’ll use the latest funding to enhance its online platform.
This video gives you an overview of Handybook:
How does it work?
- Within 60 seconds, users can book professional, verified home cleaners and handymen.
- They have to then confirm their address and payment details.
- The service can be availed at anytime they like.
- Sharing on Facebook gives users a free $20 off on their current booking.
Handybook focus on cleaning as well as repairs. It offers booking and on-demand search for – assembling furniture, mounting your TV and such jobs that require a ‘Handyman’. It also provides moving & plumbing.
- The gift cards are valid for all Handybook services.
- They do not have an expiration date.
- The gift-card amount can be used in installments and the company says that the user’s money is never lost.
- The recipient will receive an email on the selected date with instructions on how to redeem and their personal message.
- Handybook will then send the user a confirmation as well.
Some of the other companies operating in this space are Homejoy, Exec, MyClean and Get Maid. HomeJoy raised $38 Million in a new funding round recently, to expand its home cleaning services. It currently operates in 30 markets in the U.S and Canada.
Handybook seeks to persuade customers to start requesting other services alongside their cleaners. “You’re going to have a cleaner already, so we’ll send a plumber, too,” said CEO Oisin Hanrahan. “You don’t have to think about maintaining your home. We’ll think of it for you.” Handybook has been seeing nearly consistent double digit growth in bookings in 2013 according to him. The startup offers coverage in 13 cities.