Swedish mobile payments provider Seamless, has partnered with Swedish pharmacy chain Apotek Hjartat to launch its mobile wallet solution SEQR across its chain. Hjarat has over 300 pharmacies across Sweden and the roll out of Seamless' platform is planned for early 2014.
Seamless was Founded in 2001 and is active in 30 countries. The company handles more than 3.1 Bn transactions every year through 525,000 active sales outlets. SEQR has seen wide adoption and is available at Sweden’s biggest grocery chains, fast food chains and national retailer chains including McDonald’s, Ur&Penn & Hemköp.
SEQR is Sweden’s and Europe’s most used mobile wallet in stores and online. The video below talks about SEQR:
How does it work?
- SEQR enables anybody with a smartphone to pay in stores, at restaurants, parking lots and online, transfer money at no charge, store receipts digitally and receive offers and promotions directly through one mobile app.
- Through the SEQR-app, the user scans a QR-code (or taps incase of NFC) and confirms with a personal pin-code.
- No information is sent between the mobile and the cashier which makes SEQR safer as a method of payment compared to cash or cards.
- Seamless says that its solution is Fast, smooth and safe.
- SEQR’s payment solution allows merchants to lower interchange fees significantly compared to those charged by traditional card companies.
- New Features were recently added to SEQR’s all in one solution. Users can now skip another card and connect merchants loyalty programs directly to the SEQR app.
- This is in addition to paying online/ in stores, make peer to peer transfers, redeem offers, save digital receipts, donate to charity and paying for parking.
“We are very pleased that SEQR will be made available to another industry with a wide geographical spread. Our goal is to make mobile payments with SEQR a given in all payment situations,” said Peter Fredell, CEO of Seamless. The pharmacy Apotek Hjärtat is Sweden’s largest private pharmacy chain with SEK 9 billion in turn over.
On December 6th 2013, Seamless announced the availability of an additional payment account with SEQR. Customers of Gothia Financial Group can now pay with Seamless mobile wallet SEQR via the payment account PayByBill. Just like the payment account Collector, already available in the SEQR-app, PayByBill is free to use; with no interest and no fees.
Recently, SEQR was also deployed at McDonald’s restaurants in Belgium. This move was closely followed by appointment of 2 industry veterants to help assist Seamless in establishing its SEQR NFC and QR Payments Platform in the U.S. The new division in the states would be headed by payments executive Kenny Douglas and Former Giesecke & Devrient director Emilian Elefteratos.