We have summarized this news for you:
- Stellar is inspired by the crypto-currency, Bitcoin, but is designed as an intermediary between conventional currencies or assets
- Targeted towards girls in South Africa to educate them on financial decisions as part of their existing social networking experience, with rewards in form of airtime minutes
- Features are powered by a text based mobile technology, Vumi, used by UNICEF, USAID and Gates Foundation
- Current supporters of Stellar include Stripe and Praekelt Foundation in South Africa; could expand to Indonesia in coming months
- Success of service will depend on regulatory approval and wider adoption by other agencies with similar objectives
(Sources: stellar.org; vumi.org; MIT Technology Review)
PS: Please leave us a comment below and let us know what you think about this short form content that is presented to you as bullet points. The idea is to be able to let you read more in less time.