Founded in 2012, Pickie is an iPad app that aims to be your personalized eCommerce shopping aid. It uses Facebook to determine custom shopping experiences for each user. The commerce element comes from a users ability to purchase items directly from the app. This is where Commerce meets Social meets iPad meets Payments.
Pickie is based out of New York, US and has raised a total funding of $1 Mn. The funding came through investors including Techstars, betaworks, DFJ Gotham Ventures, Liberty City Ventures, MESA+, Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments, Jon Steinberg, Lars Albright, David Tisch, Andy Miller, Eric Stein, Steven Rosenblatt, and BoxGroup.
About their platform:
- On Pickie, shopping with the help of your favorite blogs and friends becomes very easy.
- The layout includes category tiles for Arts, Home Goods, Gadgets, Crafts, Furniture, Gifts, and Clothing.
- Once you have confirmed the categories you’re interested in, Pickie pulls in only viable products that have been recommended or mentioned by your friends.
- Pickie also includes editorial pages compiled by the Pickie team, along with a ‘Discover page’. The more Pickie learns about you, the better the Discover page will look to you.
- Any product you click on will display a price, availability, and anything your friends have said about it.
According to the company, revenue is obtained via sponsored products and marketing in a natural way to users, without being intrusive.
Flit, is another company operating in this space. Flit aggregates a user’s favorite stores into one app, eliminating the need to switch between multiple browser tabs to shop. Flit has raised an undisclosed amount of funding from institutional investors and angels.