Globe Telecom, a leading Philippine telecommunications company, recently introduced an innovative solution earmarked to boost retail activity and set new standards of mobile commerce and retail payments among small and medium business (SMB) owners. This solution provides customers operating start-up and small scale-stores, bazaars as well as retail outlets across the Philippinesan alternative channel for payment transactions using a smartphone or a tablet.
- Globe Charge is the flagship product of Globe myBusiness, the business segment of Globe Telecom catering to SMBs and their communication needs.
- It integrates a smartphone and an innovative mobile card reader into a convenient mobile point-of-sale (POS) payment device, thus eliminating the need for traditional and more expensive card terminals.
- Filipino entrepreneurs now have the opportunity to sell to nearly 10 Mn credit card users in the country, along with the convenience of staying connected with their business operations through calls and texts.
- The retail industry accounts for aroun 15% of the country's total gross national product and 33% of the entire services sector, according to Sr VP for Globe myBusiness, Martha Sazon. It employs some 5.25 million Filipinos, representing a significant 18% of the country's work force.
"Filipino retail merchants and SMBs are now embracing the ease and convenience provided by Globe Charge, as they now have higher chances to receive payments instantly, resulting to a bigger customer base and more robust business revenues. Globe Charge significantly heightens the potential of turning each customer interface into a successful selling transaction," said Sazon in a press release. ""Globe Charge will be a game-changing service for the growing number of retail outlets, stores and SMBs, enabling them to grow their businesses. It will allow fledgling entrepreneurs to get started right away and accept local and international MasterCard and soon, Visa credit and debit cards. Business owners can enjoy better rates and can receive the settlement as early as the next business day," she added.
- Businesses small or big can begin accepting debit or credit card payments anytime and anywhere by subscribing to a myBusiness SUPERPLAN postpaid bundle for Php499 ($11.21) for a 30-month period.
- This comes complete with surfing-texting-calling combos and consumables, a mobile card reader, and a smartphone which can be used to operate the Globe Charge app without incurring any browsing charges.
- They need to download an app from Google Play, which will also be available soon via the App Store, then register their user account and a GCash wallet after.
- Transmissions for Globe Charge transactions are made free-of-charge through the data signal of a registered Globe or TM number, and can also be performed via Wi-Fi connection through the supplied smartphone or any tablet.