Almost 10 Mn consumers utilize the Starbucks mobile payments app to pay for their coffee, croissants and those blueberry chocolate balls. According to the company, they amount to a whopping 5 Million mobile payments every week. Starbucks announced now, that their mobile payment app will be revamped to include - digital tipping, a shake-to-pay feature as well as a new interface - and launched on March 19th.
Following this, users using Starbucks App for iPhone in the U.K , Canada and USA will experience a streamlined design and easy access to their account as well as ‘My Starbucks Rewards’ information. Users using the app will also have the choice to leave a tip at over 7,000 Starbucks stores in the U.S.
“With more than 11 percent of transactions a week now happening with a mobile device in our stores, and nearly 10 million users currently using our mobile app, we’re thrilled to make the digital experience even easier and more rewarding for our users and partners,” said Starbucks’ Chief Digital Officer, Adam Brotman. “This update to the Starbucks App for iPhone is an important next step in digital innovation at Starbucks and one of the many ways we’ll expand and improve our digital experience in the months to come,” he added.
New features that will be offered by Starbucks Mobile Payment App:
Digital Tipping: Users can are given the choice to provide a tip in these denominations: $0.50, $1.00, $2.00.
Shake to Pay: The company says that to simplify payments, users can now bring the barcode of their Starbucks Card front and center at any time, by just shaking their smartphone.
In 2013, Starbucks revealed that more than 10% of its transactions were through mobile payments. Interestingly, over 30% of its U.S. transactions were made either using mobile or plastic version of Starbucks card. This app certainly helps speed things up in terms of tipping.
This is how the current Starbucks App looks like:
Some features of the app:
- My Starbucks Rewards status: The My Starbucks Rewards screen has been redesigned to streamline viewing of Rewards history. The display also features new transaction types, such as multiple transactions in a single day and promotional offers, in one integrated view.
- Mobile Payment: For users looking for the fastest way to pay, the Starbucks App for iPhone offers users the convenience of paying for their favorite Starbucks beverages with their mobile devices.
- Store Locator: Users can search for the closest Starbucks stores, view the amenities available at each store, and save favorite stores.
- Reload: Users can reload their Starbucks Card balance directly from their mobile device with any major credit card. They can even set up automatic reloads.
- Starbucks Card eGift: This enables users to treat friends and family to their favorite Starbucks food or merchandise through a virtual gift via iPhone. Starbucks Card eGifts can be customized with a personal message and sent directly using contacts for any amount between $5- $100.