In the UK, Shell customers will soon be able to pay at the pump via the free Shell Motorist or PayPal mobile application. After piloting the service with invited Shell Drivers’ Club customers earlier in April 2015, Shell is revving up to launch this service first in the UK at participating locations.
In a world where time is money and convenience is coveted, this new feature will be able to speed up a task that most motorist loath, that too with ease. From responsible caregivers with children, pets, or the elderly as passengers in the car, to busy commuters in a hurry to get out of the heat and/or rain, this new technology will surely make getting gas less of a pain.
Fill Up & Go is as simple as counting from one to three, but there are some need-to-knows that users should be mindful of.
Step 1: Register
Registering for Fill Up & Go is simple. Just make sure you have the Shell Motorist app on your mobile:
- Open the app and tap “Fill Up & Go” from the home screen.
- Tap through the intro screens, before selecting the “Register” option.
- Link the app to your PayPal account. If you don’t have a PayPal account, you will need to set one up at www.paypal.com/uk.
- Create your Fill Up & Go account. Most of your details will be pre-filled via your PayPal account.
- Finally, set up a 5-digit security PIN to log in and out of the app.
Step 2: Activate a pump
When you next want to fill up at a Shell station, simply drive into the forecourt and stop at your selected pump:
- From inside your car, open the Shell Motorist app and tap “Fill Up & Go.”
- Once the service starts, choose how much you want to spend: from £20 to £150.
- Stay in your car and scan the QR code displayed at the pump.
- The app will activate the pump and you’re ready to refill.
Step 3: Fill up & Go
You can now fill up with fuel, just like you would do normally.
- Leaving your phone safely in the car, start filling up. Make sure you use the pump you have just activated.
- Fill up with the fuel you need. Before you reach your maximum fuel spend limit, the pump will stop dispensing automatically.
- Once you’ve finished, simply return to your car. The app will confirm the purchase and you can continue your journey.
- A receipt will be emailed to you for your records.
While both of the mobile payment apps are designed to add convenience and speed to paying at the pump without leaving the car, users should check out some additional benefits associated with the Shell Motorist app. The free Shell Motorist app can be downloaded to compatible mobile devices and is available for Android through Google Play and for iOS through the App Store.
- Use the app to receive special offers, check your Shell loyalty card points balance and transactions. You can also see how you can redeem your loyalty points.
- Find the nearest station with the Shell Station Locator.
- Keep up to date with all the latest news on Shell promotions, products and services.
Back in February this year, Shell announced their partnership plans with PayPal in an official media release titled “Wheels in Motion for Mobile Payments at the Pump.”
The total transaction opportunity in the fuel and convenience store sector in the US is pegged at $526 billion. The market now has many payment programs addressing the concerns which were found in the Speedpass program. One such program is “Plenti”. Though Plenti is not a replacement for Speedpass, it does something that Speedpass didn’t, i.e., get reward points for paying at gas stations. Earlier this year, AT&T, ExxonMobil, Macy’s, Nationwide, Rite Aid, Direct Energy and Hulu joined hands with American Express to launch Plenti, the first US-based coalition loyalty and payments program featuring well-known brands. Consumers can earn and use Plenti points for purchasing a wide range of products, regardless of the payment method consumers choose to use. Also, with Plenti, customers have to actually dip a card and enter a zip code.
About Shell Retail
For more than 100 years, Shell has focused upon making customers’ fuels retailing experiences as convenient as possible. From establishing their first fuel station to launching their first convenience retail offer, this focus has seen their network grow to become one of the world’s largest single-branded retail businesses. With more than 45,000 sites operating across 70 countries, 500,000 front-line people serve in excess of 25 million customers around the world every single day. As well as selling more than 160 billion liters of fuel, Shell also sells more than 100 million cups of coffee, 250 million soft drinks and 450 million confectionary items annually.
About Royal Dutch Shell PLC
Royal Dutch Shell plc is incorporated in England and Wales, has its headquarters in The Hague and is listed on the London, Amsterdam and New York stock exchanges. Shell companies have operations in more than 70 countries and territories with businesses including oil and gas exploration and production, production and marketing of liquefied natural gas and gas to liquids, and also manufacturing, marketing and shipping of oil products and chemicals, and renewable energy projects.