In October 2013, VeriFone launched Way2Ride, a sound-based mobile app that runs on both traditional NFC-enabled systems and sound-wave-based NFC-like systems.On Aug. 20, 2014, Verifone Systems announced plans to expand its media and taxi services to Istanbul and throughout Mexico’s Mayan Riveria. VeriFone will provide over 20,000 additional taxis with this expansion.
“This planned expansion can benefit taxi fleets and drivers in these regions by enabling them to provide passengers with convenient and secure methods of payment and mobile apps,” said Amos Tamam, senior vice president of Taxi Systems for VeriFone. “It will also increase the number of screens through which merchants and consumer brands can leverage VeriFone’s connected multimedia network to reach captive audiences and enable commerce.”
- VeriFone’s full suite of taxi-payment services will be used by Istanbul’s 18,000 licensed taxis.
- This includes Way2Ride – the company’s award-winning mobile taxi app – and VeriFone’s driver-facing tablets as well as passenger-facing payment terminals.
- The taxis will be equipped with secure, in-taxi and mobile payments, mobile booking and hailing, as well as interactive multimedia content during passenger rides.
- The terminals can engage consumers with relevant content through VeriFone’s multimedia network—the VeriFone Digital Network (VNET).
- VeriFone says the two-year deployment of the solutions could begin in late 2015.
- VeriFone’s taxi and media services will also be available to more than 3,000 taxis operating in Mexico’s Mayan Riviera, because of its partnership with Mexicar, one of the largest financial institutions in Mexico.
“Growth of our taxi and media network that we’re anticipating in these regions is a result of our ability to work well with partners that have selected VeriFone to deliver the technology and solutions they need to better serve their clients,” Tamam said. “We are very excited to work with these partners, as they understand the value VeriFone brings beyond payments.”
- Way2Ride is built on VeriFone’s open API cloud platform, which enables developers to easily create apps with secure payment, messaging and other value-added services.
- Since its October 2013 debut, Way2Ride is now accepted by over 11,000 New York City yellow taxis and green “borough taxis.”
- It has been used to complete about half a million mobile transactions.