On 13th February 2014, Visa Europe and Orange announced the commercial launch of Orange Cash in Strasbourg and Caen. These two cities are considered to be the highest usage in terms of contactless payments in France. This launch makes Orange the first mobile network operator in France, to offer contactless mobile payments to its customers.
This video gives you an overview of Orange Cash:
"The launch of Orange Cash in Caen and Strasbourg embodies Orange's ambition to provide our customers with new mobile services that are simpler and more diversified,” said Executive Director of Orange France, Delphine Ernotte Cunci. “Orange Cash will be rolled out throughout France in 2014."
"The strategic partnership between Visa Europe and Orange is extremely important in order to support the growth of mobile payments,” said Mary Carol Harris, Director of Mobile, Visa Europe. “Our agreement will allow consumers to enjoy all the benefits of Orange's expertise and Visa’s technologies in a local, trusted and secure environment, which is the hallmark of Visa payments,” she added.
- Orange Cash is a solution designed and managed with Wirecard Card Solutions, a member of Visa Europe.
- The Orange Cash app takes the form of a Visa prepaid card on a smartphone, acting as a ‘mobile wallet’.
- Orange customers who have an NFC smartphone compatible with Orange Cash will have to go into an Orange store, to take full advantage of the Visa contactless payment solution.
- Once the app has been downloaded, users are just a few clicks away from activating the service – regardless of their bank.
- The Orange Cash application is based on a prepaid account that customers can top up with any of their Credit or Debit cards.
- Once the app has been topped up, customers can use the smartphone like any other wallet, in any retail outlet that accepts Visa contactless payments worldwide.
- To make a payment, users must place their smartphone on a payment terminal that accepts contactless payment. A passcode chosen by the user will be required for any payment over the contactless limit (this limit varies by country).
- Users can view their transactions in real time and check their account balance, which is instantly updated.
A number of popular French retailers offer you access to exclusive offers. Orange Cash is equipped with a GPS function that enables users to locate these specific retailers. After the user has activated the service via OrangeCash app, the retailers will share special promotions and offers available at their outlets. Users who activate their account before June 30th 2014, will be credit with €10 to mark the launch of the service. An additional €25 will be credited to the user on making contactless payments worth €100. Users also have the chance to win a Samsung Galaxy S4 by taking part in the promotional quiz at any Orange store in Strasbourg and Caen.